Monday, June 21, 2010

Oh Give Me a Home

"Home on the Range" could be the theme of the week.  Miles of split rail fences, green pastures, thick forests, rumbling rivers, tall peaks, baby cows, ponies, deer and a suicidal marmot set the stage for today's ride. I swear I saw John Wayne leaning on a fence post, and I know Dale Evans was about to come waltzing out of a log cabin singing Happy Trails.

Made two passes across the Continental Divide at Spring Creek Pass and Wolf Creek Pass, both more than 10,000 feet. Now, when you're on a motorcycle, you tend to sing songs to yourself quite a bit. So all day it was "Wolf Creek Pass Way Up on the Great Divide Truckin on Dowwwwwn the Other Side."  :)  Yeah, the air is thin up here. 

Despite the fate of CW McCall's load (crashed the cluckers at Pagosa Springs), Wolf Creek Pass might have been the most scenic part of my trip so far.  Lots of wind, but nice winding roads and little traffic.

Glad to have passed on by hot and dusty Pagosa Springs to stay in cute Durango, where it's nevertheless a toasty 88 degrees.  Naturally I'm wearing full body black, topped with a nice thick helmet.  I've got my own personal sauna!

Oh, about that marmot.  The incident happened near Spring Creek Pass. I saw him in the grass, heading full throttle towards the road.  He had something in his mouth.  A pine cone? I was doing about 55.  Surely he would see me.  Surely he would hear me.  But he'd committed.  Head down, eyes forward, he dashed.  Do I speed up?  Do I slow down?  We were on a fast-paced collision course.  I released the throttle and swerved. My heart leapt into my throat.  Missed his tail by an inch. Marmot lives to see another day.

Heading out to find some good Colorado BBQ.  Tomorrow the Ouray/Silverton loop, one of the most fabled motorcycle loops in the country.

No comments:

Post a Comment